Thursday, March 15, 2018

A Bad Case of Stripes {Biblical Extension Activities}

It's Wednesday, so it's time to share another installment of "What We're Reading Wednesday!"  Today I have an old favorite.  Little Man went through a phase when he asked for this story every single night.  It's a good one though, with a great message, so I'm glad he enjoyed it!

Camilla Cream loves lima beans, but she knows her friends don't.  She tries to hide the fact that she likes them because she doesn't want them to laugh at her.  :(  What happens when we worry too much about what other people think of us?  Camilla had to find out the hard way!


After the story, we had a short discussion about why we are special.  Little Man went straight the answer I wanted to hear.  "Because God make us special, Mommy!"  Exactly.  I asked him how Camilla was special.  She likes lima beans.  She has curly hair.  She's an only child.  All of it works.  Then, I asked him (if Camilla was a real person), would God have given her all these special qualities.  Of course.  So what special qualities did God give us?  Prepare yourself to hear some super cute responses from your little one!  :)

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  
Psalm 139:14


For our extension activity, we gave ourselves stripes!  Instead of painting our faces (which could have been lots of fun), we made our stripes on paper.  I asked Little Man to help me come up with ways that God made everyone in our family special.  I loved his responses!  Considering one for his brother, Baby Boy, is "spit-up machine" (something he genuinely says almost nightly during prayers now), I wonder if I should have asked him about the dogs.  I can only begin to imagine the things he would have said!  I ended up hanging the boys' stripes on the bathroom mirror next to the memory verse (dry erase marker).  As we get ready each morning, I hope to have a quick chat about other things that make us special.  

We also tried making 3D hand tracings, but it was a little too difficult for Little Man.  He ended up losing interest pretty quickly, so I didn't force it.  If you have a patient one, I do encourage trying it.  Some great conversations about uniqueness could come from it!  

I also had an idea after we finished our activity that I might try in the future.  If I do, I'll add it to this page!  We could have easily made acrostic poems using our names and special words to describe ourselves.  If you want a literacy tie-in, there you go!  :)  

Tell me, have you read this book?  What extension activities have you tried?

Follow us on Bloglovin'!

Come join the fun!  We're linking up at Teaching Mama!





No comments:

Post a Comment